Sunday, August 1, 2010

Growing Pains: A Maggie's Place Retrospective

It's been ages since I've posted anything. I suppose I could blame this on my crazy work schedule, and I wouldn't be too far from the truth. But the fact of the matter is, I have, in the past six months, received an education far different from the one I received in college.

During this time, I have been schooled in the practical and at times mundane application of virtue. Here are a few lessons I have learned while serving and living at Maggie's Place:
  • If you think "breakin up is hard to do", try loving someone and sticking with a relationship through thick and thin! Love is hard work!
  • Working with the earth is good for the soul. Weeding is a great way to de-stress and take out any frustration on plants and not humans.
  • As my chiropractor says, "Contrary to popular belief, I cannot feel your pain." In other words, if you want someone to know how you feel, you must tell them. You cannot expect them to be mind readers.
  • There is beauty in every person. The world does not want you to know this. It wants you to believe that only certain people are beautiful. This is silly. Beauty is everywhere. Beauty is wrinkles and baby fat rolls, laughter and suffering. (Thank you, Clarissa for opening my eyes to this truth).
  • God loves to answer our prayers, even the ones we think are not important. He is a loving father and loves to dote on his children. I prayed for a piano, and God gave me one. How's that for providing?
  • Second to the one who created you, no one knows your needs like you do. Listen to your heart and your body. Know what you need to be healthy, happy, and sane. The world will keep on turning even if you take that power nap. Take care of yourself before you take care of others.
  • Everything is formation (I will elaborate on this one in another post).
  • Deal with conflicts as they arise. Do not try to wait it out or ignore it.
  • Boundaries are everything. Read the book Boundaries by Cloud and Townsend to see what I mean.

I know that my education in living is just beginning. It's humbling to realize just how much growing I still have ahead of me. And, let's face it: growing is painful and sometimes painfully slow. So, be patient with me, world, while I continue to learn in the years ahead.



3 comments:

  1. Great post. Here is the website i was telling you about; http://helpx.net .

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Marie...I love the "resolve conflicts as they come up" lesson....I feel like I am learning that one over and over...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great to see you posting again, Marie! Thank you for sharing your life lessons, which are such a good reminder to me. My favorites are "Beauty is everywhere" and "Take care of yourself before you take care of others."

    ReplyDelete