Thursday, June 16, 2016

Discovering My Personal Style

She wrinkled her nose as she grasped the jersey material, "You aren't going to wear this, are you?" Shame washed over me, and my stomach sank. She was classically beautiful, a Grace Kelly, and represented everything I longed to be, but wasn't.

Like a lot of women, I have struggled with insecurity about my appearance for as long as I can remember. And I have held a very narrow definition of what it means to be beautiful--in a skin deep sort of way.

Since becoming a mom, I have decided that it's time I owned my unique brand of beauty. This quest has led me to the world of style archetypes and seasonal color analysis. Several weeks ago, I met with an Image Analyst, and confirmed my suspected archetype--Yin Natural (Soft Natural in Kibbe language).

Through this journey, I have become more aware of what works and also what doesn't (and why). I may long for certain styles, but now I feel confident in leaving them on the rack for someone else to wear. I don't have to settle for looking okay (or plain Jane) anymore in the wrong styles.

I don't have to try to hide certain features, or pretend I have others. It's all about working with one's natural shape, and honoring our bodies. I want to look my best, and feel confident in the skin I'm in. I may never be Grace Kelly, but I will be me. And yes, that is what I'm wearing. :)

Here are a few outfits I've created since my personal image analysis (PIA).







In a few weeks, I will meet with a local analyst for my personal color analysis. I have my suspicions I am a True (or Cool) Summer. Keep posted to find out the results!

1 comment: