Friday, June 21, 2013

Riding the Bus

You meet the most interesting people while waiting for the bus. That is, if you look up long enough from your phone or book. He was wearing a construction orange and yellow vest and baggy pants.

"Did you see the concert last night?" he asked, without filling in the usual context of whose concert and where. Turns out it was a benefit concert for the most recent devastating natural disaster.

"Even the vampire girl was there...Kristin Scott Thomas."
"Kristin Stewart?" I prompted.
"Oh yeah. I can never remember her name. She flew out all the way from LA to New York so she could introduce Bon Jovi."
"It was for a good cause." I suggested.
"Yeah, I had no idea how bad they were affected."

When we spoke he looked directly into my eyes and stood still. When we weren't speaking, he was constantly moving, shifting his weight from one foot to another, like a raptor anticipating his next meal or like an ice skater. Every now and then he would shuffle his feet like he was dancing to a tune stuck in his head. I half-expected him to burst out into a Gene Kelly inspired rendition of "Gotta Dance."



A few moments passed as he looked at the bus route. "You could go just about anywhere from here."

I smiled and agreed.

2 comments:

  1. I like your depiction of this person's character and the open-ended last lines. Thanks for painting the scene for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :0) We can learn a lot when we pay attention. I like that you don't talk on the phone on the bus. People are so interesting.
    ...and you are so good at relating them to us! :0)

    ReplyDelete