Monday, July 15, 2013

A Renewed Effort (and one of the reasons I left Facebook)

As some of you may know, I am in the process of deleting my Facebook account. (For more info on that, read this article). That being said, I do not desire to communicate less with those whom I hold dear. On the contrary, I hope that leaving Facebook will encourage me to be more communicative. One of the reasons I stopped writing for awhile was because I wanted to focus on living  in the present moment. An inherent problem in writing, as I saw it then, was that it involved constantly looking back, reliving past moments. I didn't want to be writing about other people's exciting adventures, I wanted to have my own!

Perhaps the greatest irony of this attitude was that, instead of writing (in my blog or journal or letters, etc), I wasn't living. No. I had chosen to spend a lot of my time on Facebook. Oh, I spent so much time on there! Six years of my life have been spent (wasted?) updating my account, adding pictures, crafting pithy status updates, scrolling endlessly through information about people I hardly knew. In short, I was doing anything but writing.

So what do I have to show for all that effort? Not a whole lot, actually. So, in an effort to live more AND write more, I am going to focus on this blog. What will I be writing about? I'm not sure. This blog has always been a patchwork quilt of sorts, based on my varied interests. But I do hope to document my life here in the Northwest, from the perspective of a born-and-raised Midwesterner.


So here's to a renewed effort on my part. I hope this is an enriching experience for me, and for all my readers.




2 comments:

  1. Marie! Excited that I now have the link to your blog. Congratulations on giving up facebook. I hope it is fruitful.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete