Thursday, November 19, 2015

9 Days to Gratitude: a Thanksgiving Novena {Day Three}

For those of you just joining in, this is part of a series on cultivating gratitude in preparation for Thanksgiving. You can see Day One here, and Day Two here.

Day Three

Today I am grateful for my friendships. 

I started out the day visiting with a dear friend and neighbor who recently had her third child, a sweet little girl. We met up for caffeinated beverages and pastries at a local French bakery. It is such a blessing to have a friend like her, and even more so since she lives a short walk away from our house. I love being able to go for walks together around the neighborhood, have a tea party (with nice teacups, a variety of tea, and honey sticks), and visit local eateries and attractions. The best part? Even though we are the same age, I can benefit from her experience as a mom of (now) three children. And she speaks from a place of humility, quickly admitting that she's in the trenches, same as the rest of us. I feel as though I have found another kindred spirit in her. And for that, I feel very grateful. 

I ended the day learning that another good friend will not be moving to California. As much as I would try to put on a good face, and be excited for my friends' opportunity, it was such a relief to hear that they would, in fact, be staying. I remember a time, about three years ago, when I felt really lonely. I had just moved from my Midwestern home, and I knew no one (well, besides Andy, of course!). The only friends I had were really just friends of Andy's. But I remember that one of Andy's friends in particular struck me as being very intelligent, thoughtful, and kind. Since then, we've become real friends. We've both been through the sometimes challenging transition to motherhood. I value her insight, and really enjoy her company. 

I don't want to ever take my friendships for granted. These are just two friendships that I decided to highlight, but I am lucky to call many of you, my readers, friends. I thank God for you.  

What are you thankful for today?





No comments:

Post a Comment