Tuesday, November 24, 2015

9 Days to Gratitude: a Thanksgiving Novena {Day Eight}

For those of you just joining in, this is part of a series on cultivating gratitude in preparation for Thanksgiving. You can see Day One here, Day Two here,  Day Three here, Day Four here, Day Five here, Day Six here, and Day Seven here.

Day Eight

Today I am grateful for my work. 



I know I haven't mentioned this much (if at all?) on my blog, but I work on a very part-time basis as a FertilityCare Practitioner. Essentially, for those who are not familiar, I teach women how to maintain and monitor their gynecologic health, and foster an awareness and appreciation of their fertility. I also teach couples how to make decisions regarding their fertility, so as to naturally achieve or avoid pregnancy. 

Since I deal with very sensitive matters, the work I do is as much draining as it is rewarding. I have learned, since becoming a mom myself, that I need to make sure that my work, as fulfilling as it is, does not interfere with my primary vocation as a wife and mother. This can be hard, since I am a people-pleaser by nature, and I used to think that I needed to say yes to every person who sought my help. No longer. I am privileged to have a number of colleagues in the Puget Sound area, who I can refer people to, and, thanks to technology, there are numerous other teachers just a Skype call away. 

I am thankful to have this work to keep me sharp, allow me to interact with adults, and address a very real need. Clients come to me for a wide variety of reasons, but I have to say my favorite part of my job is witnessing the growth that occurs. Couples, struggling with infertility, learn how to nurture their relationship with each other. Women, armed with self-knowledge, demonstrate an awareness of their dignity. 




I am so grateful to journey with my clients, to rejoice with them, and to mourn with them. It may not be easy, but it is so worth it.

For more information about the Creighton Model FertilityCare System, and to find a teacher near you, visit http://www.fertilitycare.org/



No comments:

Post a Comment